Wednesday, March 11, 2009

in appreciation

for Kitty.    
Kitty has been my devoted friend for nine-plus years. I don't know why, but she clearly chose me to be the recipient of her greatest loyalty very early on in our relationship. As Anjali was growing in my belly, I felt concern about Kitty. Rodolfo ~ I knew he might be somewhat effected, but he would remain his resilient somewhat-standoffish-shy self. Kitty, on the other hand, Kitty might take it personally. When Anjali arrived outside the belly, a tiny squirming bundle with a piercing scream, the cats went running. They investigated every item with her scent, but would not even sniff of Anjali. As the days passed, they quit jumping every time the new member of the family cried. Eventually, they each found the comfort to occupy the same couch or bed area as Anjali. Now that Anjali is more directly vocal, and lurching eagerly in their direction, Rodolfo hits the high road every time he senses her presence too close. But Kitty ~ she's holding her ground. I think somehow she knows that to be close to Tiffanie, she has to learn to tolerate the little human. She even keeps her purr going if Anjali unexpectedly grabs at her face (although I try to be moderator for these interactions ~ on each of their behalf). She's gently holding her own, and nudging and nuzzling in her insistent way, as close to Tiffanie as she can manage with the new girl around. When I shove her away as Anjali is just drifting off to sleep, later on she still greets me by the bathroom sink in her regular spot for a pet. I don't know what I did to deserve her lifetime devotion, but I have a friend in Kitty. As much attention as the furless kitten gets these days, I just wanted to send Kitty a little love note.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so sweet. I love this update on how the pussycats are fairing with all the changes afoot. awwwwww...