Wednesday, March 11, 2009

first harvests

Summer brought intolerable heat for the watermelon-bellied mama.  Toward the end of the season, I must admit to abandoning the garden.  I harvested tomatoes, and that's about it (many of them not making their way inside).  But the garden did not abandon me.  The rain has done the yard good.  Flowers are blossoming in every corner.  Happily, many of the seeds I planted last year that did not sprout ~ I went fairly nutty in seed-sprinkling last year! ~ are unfurling with life and color.  What a welcome surprise!  On our way in yesterday, we brought enough parsley to season dinner's roasted beets, and a flower for the centerpiece.  Just bringing in this handful of the outside breathes so much energy into the house.  And makes me want to get outside and dig in the dirt!    

No comments: