Sunday, May 16, 2010

Oh, Baja!

As with any experience that moves me deeply, I am speechless. I have looked at a blank blog page for days trying to sum it up perfectly. And it's just not coming to me. So to move on from that last entry, I shall simply post some photos. There are so many good feelings in so many of the photos we took ~ Woo, Sealion, and I ~ that it is hard to choose just a few.
At the beginning of the week, Woo posed the question, "How long could you do this?" Meaning, how long could we relax, bask in the sun, loaf at the pool, float and swim in the sea, enjoy each other's company and the laid-back Baja culture, and just: not do much. When she asked, I thought, I could get bored pretty quickly... But by the end of the week I was certainly not ready to return to uptight American living (doing). It seems in America we are driven to do and do. Too, I feel as if the culture in the Bay Area is very achievement-oriented. To sit and do nothing is relegated to the end of yoga class. Our lives demand so much of us. And when external have-tos are finished, we demand even more of ourselves. Perhaps the main thing I appreciate from my experiences of Baja Sur is how slooooowed down it is. There's just not much to do. For what there is to do, there is no agenda. The culture is therapeutic in its non-expectation. The sun is the only insistent presence there; it insists you seek shade and take a nap midday. That just gives you a little extra time to wonder at the vast starry sky at night.
Ok. I guess I did have something to say. Mainly, that I wasn't ready to leave and want to go back. So it's obvious I have some major gratitude work to do, because nobody should pay the laughably high prices to live here unless they absolutely love it.

photos of a lovely vacation ~ in random order
~ many taken by Woo : )

The crew ~ what an easy group to spend a week with!
Auntie Woo

At Lumbini Gardens



The banana tree that Miles planted at Lumbini Gardens ~
and its huge flower that descends from a big ol' bunch of bananas!
I did a lot of this ~ floating in the sea.
ahhhh
sunrise from our back patio
being a mommy ~
I still get to do a lot of that while on vacation.

Woo, I noticed one thing I didn't get a photo of ~ our daily plate of heavenly chips and guacamole!
Next time!

No comments: