Monday, November 09, 2009

How is a sleeping baby so awe-inpiring? It seems I have to remind myself to breathe as I gaze at her, I am so mesmerized. The to-do list, poised for naptime productivity, lies untouched for a few moments as I sit, rapt. There is a belief that during a birth, the curtain between heaven and earth is opened up and remains that way for a while once the child is born, so that the baby is kind of in between worlds for a bit. Perhaps as they sleep, the curtain is drawn open an inch or two, so that the air around them glows with soft angelic warmth. A sleeping baby embodies peace. And innocence. She lets me, the viewer/voyeur, poke my head in and visit that place ~ untouched by schedules or hurry or expectations. For a moment.

2 comments:

woo said...

Can't wait to see this! Does it wake her up if you squeeze her? How 'bout if you nuzzle your nose in her neck? or rub your cheek on her cheek?

Tiff said...

Tif - that is some beautiful imagery and wordery. I love how you put it. So true!!!